« Upgraded - Looking for a new look »

Drainage Systems

1 May 2006

When it rains heavily, floods occur in various places. Cars stall, traffic is diverted into one single lane, in short, it is bad. As if to compensate for this, our country has another wonderful drainage system, not for water though, for brains.

Thousands of Malaysians (no, the issue isn’t scholars this time) study abroad and many of them choose not to return, many completed their studies locally, but choose to work overseas and eventually settle down in a foreign land. There are many reasons for doing so… most of them covered in this article and it’s related survey. Better working conditions, better pay, better opportunities. The list goes on.

The survey suggests many things that the govt should do to attract Malaysians to come home, including competitive salaries or better promotion opportunities. I say the govt should also try to look beyond racial differences and to value meritocracy instead. Being sidelined in a foreign country is bad, but being treated as a second class citizen in your home country is a hundred times worse.

9 Responses to ' Drainage Systems '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Drainage Systems '.

1. acidulous said,

on May 1st, 2006 at 12:20 am

Good point there Yeep…

2. Yee Pei said,

on May 1st, 2006 at 1:27 am

acid: thx

3. pwasad said,

on May 1st, 2006 at 9:21 am

something tells me that i can live with less pay. But the bit which worries me (as u said) is that if my opportunities are going to be lessened because of the colour of my skin, i don’t see much of a point in serving a government which thinks so.

Until things change, i see no reason to come back. I want to serve my people, but I can’t leave the ‘i’ out of that sentence, if you get what i mean.

4. Yee Pei said,

on May 1st, 2006 at 11:29 am

pwas: hear hear!

5. Edrei said,

on May 1st, 2006 at 4:37 pm

But whether things can change, that’s a different story altogether. When the system is so ingrained into the masses, so much so that it still hops on regardless, it’ll take a complete and utter collapse of that system for Malaysia to change.

Until then, like a lot of people studying abroad…we’re going to be taking our chances out here first.

6. Yee Pei said,

on May 1st, 2006 at 5:19 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is a frequently used argument… “law as an educator”.. “brown v. board of education”.. blah blah…

Well, I see a change in policy as a first step that should be taken.. which we hope that in turn will change people’s mindset and the way things are done. Without this first step towards change, we can never hope for one, now or in the future.

7. pwasad said,

on May 1st, 2006 at 5:54 pm

hear hear yp. when dealing with a majority of people who think that there’s one way to approach the matter (they’re not from here, they’re not going to go far), it’s better to work from the bottom up rather than by mere legislation. It’s a step, but probably not one that’s big enough.

8. lishun said,

on May 1st, 2006 at 7:21 pm

i agree.

but it’s not gonna happen until a generation of leaders with much more vision (and transparency) take over at the top. i like to believe that it will start with our generation, because i don’t ever want my kids to grow up with the same kind of discontent we all did, but even my annoying optimism can’t help me out here on this one.

all it can do is prevent me from being a sourpuss all my life, considering i am most probably “stuck” here in malaysia.

9. Yee Pei said,

on May 1st, 2006 at 8:49 pm

Pwas: Big enough or not, we need a step to start off, be it bottom up or top down, as long as it is a move towards a common goal, it is a move, and a move is better than no move.

Lishun: You mean a generation of leaders with enough courage. :P A change like this will no doubt affect their popularity among certain groups, and this may result in them losing the following election and hence, their job.